What are the permissions on the bsd.upgrade that's left behind?
If they are still +x then your issue is with the boot loader, maybe that
boot.conf otto suggested. If they are -x then the boot loader started the
install kernel but something went wrong.

--
Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse poor formating.