On 2/24/21 9:43 AM, Sylvain S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that, if I understand correctly, you have been
> able to make this printer work on ArchLinux from the
> officially provided RPM driver package.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-dcp-l2510d/
>
> May I ask, what kind of porting work did that require ?
> I have acquired this model from Brother and have not been
> successful at making it work/print yet.
> For reference, here is the thread on the French community forums
> https://forum.openbsd.fr.eu.org/showthread.php?tid=2846
>
> I also note that the printer is absent from the foomatic
> database maintained by Fedora. This seems strange as a
> driver package is available for their distribution format,
> but perhaps I am missing something here ?
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/repo/extras/foomatic-db/
>
> Finally, I notice from the documentation (to the mailing list's attention) :
>
> The Foomatic framework supports direct printing which does not rely on CUPS
> (nor
> any spooler).
>
> Complete documentation can be found at:
>
> https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/database/nospoolerdocumentation
>
> I would gladly do that, but am still clueless as of now
>
> Thanks to anyone who would help

It feels like we repeat this thread every couple months...

If your printer supports postscript (as yours and most other Brother brand
laser printers seem to) you can use something like this in your /etc/printcap
file to print postscript data directly to the printer:
lp|remote line printer:\

:lp=:rm=172.20.200.5:rp=lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
Then check out stuff like the 'pdftops' utility etc for converting documents to
postscript. With a bit of fiddling, LibreOffice can be configured to print raw
postscript to the device as well. No drivers or other garbage needed. Everybody
always wants to connect to their printer over USB, just don't -- its annoying.
If you get your postscript printer setup on the network like this, then you can
move forward into broad sunlit uplands.

Printing truly can be as easy as '$ lpr mydoc.ps'

Regards,

Jordan