# Message will be discarded unless file is saved
From: Predrag Punosevac <punoseva...@gmail.com>
# To:, Cc: and Bcc: support a ?single modifier: To?: exa, <m@ple>
To: misc@openbsd.org
Cc: jor...@geoghegan.ca
Subject: Re: Attempting to use Brother DCP-L2510D printer on BSD

On 2/24/21 9:43 AM, Sylvain S wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I see that, if I understand correctly, you have been
> able to make this printer work on ArchLinux from the
> officially provided RPM driver package.
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-dcp-l2510d/

The upstream for the driver is Brother corporation. Brother drivers are
not genuine open source drivers. They contain OS specific hidden binary
blobs. I am not talking about firmware which is injected into the
device. I am talking about OS side blob which is suppose to run on your
computer. I am not familiar with the model you have. Brother
manufactures great variety of printing devices many of which are
PostScrit, Printer Command Language PCL6 capable, or have built in CUPS
server and everything running on them.

I have one of those HL-5250DN. This is my printcap file

# Remote printer must use jetdirect since foomatic-rip doesn't speak LPD
rp|HL-5250DN:\
        :lp=9100@192.168.3.15:\
        :if=/etc/foomatic-rip/script_brother.sh:\
        :sh:sd=/var/spool/output/brother:\
        :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

predrag@oko$ more /etc/foomatic-rip/script_brother.sh
#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/a2ps -BRq --columns=1 -o - | \
        /usr/local/bin/foomatic-rip -P HL-5250DN --ppd
/etc/foomatic-rip/direct/brother-hl-5250dn-postscript-brother.ppd

Works like a charm.

Cheers,
Predrag

> May I ask, what kind of porting work did that require ?
> I have acquired this model from Brother and have not been
> successful at making it work/print yet.
> For reference, here is the thread on the French community forums
> https://forum.openbsd.fr.eu.org/showthread.php?tid=2846
>
> I also note that the printer is absent from the foomatic
> database maintained by Fedora. This seems strange as a
> driver package is available for their distribution format,
> but perhaps I am missing something here ?
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/repo/extras/foomatic-db/
>
> Finally, I notice from the documentation (to the mailing list's
attention) :

> The Foomatic framework supports direct printing which does not rely on
CUPS (nor

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/openprinting/database/nospoolerdocumentation