On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 03:32:44PM +0000, tetrahe...@danwin1210.me wrote:
> When installing OpenBSD, the default partition layout only allocates 1GB to
> / ... most of the disk space is allocated to /home.
>
> Once you start installing packages, / quickly grows beyond 1GB, and it looks
> like even some large packages exceed the available space on their own:
>       Error: /dev/sda1 on / is not large enough
>
> Is there an easy fix for this that I'm missing somewhere, or is this a
> poorly chosen default?

Something's strange about your setup. The installer normally creates a
separate partition for /usr and maybe /usr/local. If you're using
pkg_add, then packages go in /usr/local, so they shouldn't end up on
your root partition.

If your disk is really tiny the installer won't create a separate /usr
partition, but in that case it won't make a separate /home either.

--
James