On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 11:52:39PM +0000, James Cook wrote:

Sorry, you're right, pkg_add can add files to /. But generally those
will be quite small (/etc/make2fs.conf sounds like a configuration
file).

How big is your root partition, and how much space is used? For example
mine is like this after several months of use and many packages
installed, indicating the installer's default behaviour has worked well
for me:

falsifian angel ~ $ df -h /
Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/sd2a      989M    199M    741M    21%    /

My root partition is about the same -- circa 1GB in size, about 700MB free.

According to `df -h` my /user/local has 11.4GB available and /usr has 3.5GB, so there *should* be plenty of space for Libreoffice.