This was beaten to death five years ago.  What happened after the 2.9
release?  Using a little logic it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out...

Plus it is in the OpenBSD efficiency model too! Typing 4.0 is shorter then typing 3.10. That's 33% more text to type. My finger would be tied each time I would have to type that.

And I am not even talking about all the Linux new comer that can't see the difference between 3.7 to 3.8 for example. Now you would required them to read one more digit? That's asking to much...

Plus think about all the art work, cd cover, t-shirt, etc. All would become unbalance now.

Isn't it the moto is less code is better in OpenBSD. Think about what you are asking here.

Put 33% more code in the next release for what????

And finally, all the passer for the dmesg for the 12K plus in archive would need to be rework to process one more digit. Where is the efficiency in that!

Plus:

OpenBSD 4.0 (GENERIC) #675: Thu Nov 1 00:00:00 MST 2006

Looks a lot better then

OpenBSD 3.10 (GENERIC) #675: Thu Nov 1 00:00:00 MST 2006

Looks to much GNU to me! (:>

Daniel.

PS: Just practicing my sarcasm a bit here.