dear Ed,

It wasn't complicated at all in till the unintended upgrade, and I wish to
try and resolve this, even though I a person with copy&paste skills in
command line. OpenBSD 6.8 was booting fine with gnome, but now stuck in
xterm.

Now in xsession cd/use/pets/gnome,  typed make,  it is making, will report
what happens.

Thank you.

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 23:23, Ed Gray <e.mask....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sivan,
>
> Sorry I've not had chance to look at everything you sent.
>
> Firstly the message about SSH keys sounds normal as this is part of a
normal X session startup. I suspect you have a key that has changed or
needs a passphrase entered and it's just picking it up when you try to
start X.

> The command history looks strange, you're running shutdown and reboot and
then other commands, unless these are from another session?

> Openbsd needs the -h option to both shutdown and power off the machine or
-r for reboot.

> Where is your startx program and is it a custom program?
>
> If you have done unintended upgrades and your /usr is also full it's
going to cause all sorts of problems. I would recommend reinstalling a
release from scratch if you can.

> Alternatively when the boot program runs you can choose bad.rd to get the
installer ramdisk and manually repair from there but it's a rather complex
process.

> On my system I had to boot bad.rd, type s for shell, run the MAKEDEV
script in /dev to create device nodes and then run disklabel manually to
rearrange volumes to make space.

> You would also need to grow or shrink the volumes.
>
> Regarding further troubleshooting of X sessions I would recommend moving
.xsession to .xsession.bak and starting with a fresh configuration.

> I would need to understand more about how you are starting gnome like
more details of any changes you made to the standard installation.

I see gnome-sessiin-bi.core.core under /
and .xauthority under /root, as in the attached image