On Sun, 30 May 2021 19:55:42 +0200, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 01:43:54PM -0400, Daniel Jakots wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 May 2021 17:45:22 +0200, Theo Buehler
> > <t...@theobuehler.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Unsure. If people really think this is useful and necessary, I
> > > can be convinced. It's easy enough to do. And you're right, curl
> > > strips the trailing dot after resolving a host name for SNI and
> > > HTTP host header.
> >
> > Given the current error message makes it hard to understand what the
> > problem is, I think it's nicer to fix the user error like curl(1)
> > does.
>
> What I do not quite see is why you would want or expect to be able to
> have a trailing dot there. None of nc's examples have it and in
> ftp/curl it seems even weirder.

I think what happened is I was fucking around with my certificates
file, and they're named like example.com.pem. I wanted to check
something so I double-clicked on the string and pasted it, and then
removed only "pem". I left the trailing dot both out of laziness and
because I didn't expect it to break things.

I recently learned that you can include the DNS name trailing dot in a
url even if it looks weird. But I just tested some more and for
instance:

https://datatracker.ietf.org./doc/html/rfc6066#section-3 # works
https://openbsd.org./ # doesn't work with Error code:
SSL_ERROR_ILLEGAL_PARAMETER_ALERT

$ nc -zvc datatracker.ietf.org. 443
Connection to datatracker.ietf.org. (4.31.198.44) 443 port [tcp/https]
succeeded!
nc: tls handshake failed (name `datatracker.ietf.org.' not present in server
certificate)
(and adding -Tnoname makes it work)

so I guess LibreSSL is stricter than OpenSSL?