On 2021-05-30 19:55 +02, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 30, 2021 at 01:43:54PM -0400, Daniel Jakots wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 May 2021 17:45:22 +0200, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Unsure. If people really think this is useful and necessary, I can be
>> > convinced. It's easy enough to do. And you're right, curl strips the
>> > trailing dot after resolving a host name for SNI and HTTP host header.
>>
>> Given the current error message makes it hard to understand what the
>> problem is, I think it's nicer to fix the user error like curl(1) does.
>
> What I do not quite see is why you would want or expect to be able to
> have a trailing dot there. None of nc's examples have it and in ftp/curl
> it seems even weirder.

It's the name of the thing (RFC 8499):
   Fully-Qualified Domain Name (FQDN):  This is often just a clear way
      of saying the same thing as "domain name of a node", as outlined
      above.  However, the term is ambiguous.  Strictly speaking, a
      fully-qualified domain name would include every label, including
      the zero-length label of the root: such a name would be written
      "www.example.net." (note the terminating dot).  But, because every
      name eventually shares the common root, names are often written
      relative to the root (such as "www.example.net") and are still
      called "fully qualified".  This term first appeared in [RFC819].

In practical terms, if one adds the trailing dot, the stub resolver in
libc (asr) will not try the search list if the original name does not
resolve.
www.openbsd.org. is really only www.openbsd.org and not maybe
www.openbsd.org.home. or www.openbsd.org.lan. or some such.

--