Hello Stuart,

I do set the carp address as nexthop. This works in a "traditional" L2
environment as expected. However, to make a long story short, in a vxlan
environment L2 redundancy protocols like carp that rely on gARP do not work
as expected.

So I need to have the backup firewall tell the router in some other way
(bgp wise) that the path via it is worse compared with the master. The
suggestion offered by Claudio would be spot on for my use case. I would
argue others would benefit from this too as I am running a fairly standard
symmetric vxlan routing clos setup.