Hello Stuart,

I see not that I have not been entirely clear on my setup.

Traditionally I used carp on both upstream interfaces (to have a common
nexthop address in BGP routing) and also on my downstream interfaces (to
have a floating default gateway for my hosts). As it stands now I cannot
use a carp nexthop on my upstreams, so a solution would be to have upstream
BGP peering alter its meds or as-path depending on downstream carp
interface state. This way I can retain symmetric routing while not setting
an upstream carp nexthop address.