On 2021-06-25, Theo Buehler <t...@theobuehler.org> wrote:
> If we want to go the cherry-picking route, here's a diff that fixes the
> test.csv.gz test case provided in the linked issue.

No objection to this (it won't make a future sync much harder, there
are already many changes in openbsd-zlib compared to the more common
version), but there are plenty of ports that do specifically ask for
a newer version that we have hacked away the version check, there is
probably some reason they have decided to require the version they do
(though many are so old probably nobody remembers by now).

>From the ports side a larger update would be welcome. FWIW my earlier
update is here: https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=132810606729160&w=2
(it wasn't just "dump the new code in", I did merge OpenBSD changes).

Hacking around missing functions has introduced some problems in
ports development.  And different codepaths taken mean we hit bugs
in upstream software that are not seen by others. mail/notmuch is
an example where we found problems
(https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=158654770825909&w=2) and
fixed/worked around them because it has a good regression testsuite;
that's not all that common in other ports so I'll be surprised if
there are no other issues latent in the tree (I guess it took some
time before the problem with R prpmpting this discussion showed up).
But ports can't answer Mark's question about z_off64_t.

> the copy in gnu/usr.bin/cvs is even older...

Fortunately that one's unused.