>it seems to me that you are still not understanding what is
happening here. i get the impression that you want to write these backup scripts to avoid data loss in the event of a disk failure?
not just a disk failure but mostly in case my client does something that they shouldn't and realize it a few days later. I'm only trying to create a archive of backups. So it would backup the sytem every day and every week it would save one of the backups to another directory while continuing to overwrite the other weekly backups and doing the same with a monthly backup while overwriting the weekly backups. So I would have 7 daily backups, 52 weekly backups and 12 yearly backups when the system is full.

>if you're only trying to avoid data loss when a disk fails, then
stop writing your backups scripts and start writing a cronjob that mails you when bioctl reports one of your disks as failed.
Do I have to parse sudo bioctl ami0 or is there a way to run bioctl and get an true/false value for the alarm status? I tried sudo bioctl ami0 -a get ami0 but that returns a value reporting wether or not the alarm is enabled.

Thanks!