On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 03:12:33PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Emiel Kollof [em...@kollof.nl] wrote:
> > Chris Cappuccio schreef op do 21-10-2021 om 07:56 [-0700]:
> >
> > > This appears to be a totally different failure than found by Avon.
> > > It's also on a different class of hardware.
> >
> > Is it? The errors seem very similar. Also, Avon's dmesg suggests he's
> > using amdgpu as well. I wonder why he deletes all the amdgpu firmwares
> > only to copy over the radeon firmwares. For me, that would break
> > xenocara.
> >

> The errors are totally unrelated in my view. Other than having the
> same formatting, as they are both generated from the amdgpu framework,
> they appear to be completely different.
>
> Anyways, I didn't even catch that I recommended the wrong firmware.
> I'm trying to get some traction here so that someone who actually
> knows more about amdgpu might find a useful report. (A driver bug
> report with no dmesg is no report!)
>
> Under radeondrm, some cards require firmware, most don't. With
> amdgpu, seems like at least this card doesn't.
>
> Avon if you want to try older amdgpu firmwares,
>
> 7.0: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/7.0/amdgpu-firmware-20210818.tgz
> 6.9: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/6.9/amdgpu-firmware-20201218.tgz
> 6.8: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/6.8/amdgpu-firmware-20200619.tgz
> 6.7: http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/6.7/amdgpu-firmware-20190312.tgz
>
> This is not important at this point, it's just another data point
> in your bug report to know which firmwares succeed and which fail.
> The right place for the report, including dmesg, is b...@openbsd.org.
>
> Chris

Greetings Chris,

My AMD machine was built by me in August 2018. OpenBSD -current was the
first OS installed and has been updated every 1-2 weeks since. It caused
me random grief from the time that amdgpu firmware was introduced until
I removed it the other day (, assuming my memory is still A1-ok). Alas,
occasionally it was a number of days between freezes which may be a
'track it down' complication.

Considering my August 2018 build date, I will install the 6.7 firmware
first and work upwards through the amdgpu firmware, and stop testing
them as soon as one creates a freeze. I am sure they all did in the
past.

Over the next 2-3 days as time permits, I will collate any related
information that I can find and submit it to bugs@ as you have
suggested.

Thanks and regards,
Avon