On Nov 06 20:51:53, st...@fivetrees.com wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I've probably done something stupid, but I'm not sure where. Not
> used sysupgrade before; I usually reinstall. So this is new to me.
>
> I updated a system from 6.9 to 7.0 with sysupgrade; no problems at all. I
> then nuked the contents of /usr/src,

Why?

> and decanted the 7.0 src.tar.gz and
> sys.tar.gz files as usual with a new install.
> Then did a cvs update

You didn't need to remove the previous;
you could have just updated the source you had.

> for the errata; still fine.

For errate to 7.0? If you have a -current system for sysupgrade
and only updated to the 7.0 errata, the source you have in /usr/src
is behind what you have installed.

> Rebuilt kernel, installed it, rebooted; no problem. Then
> tried rebuilding binaries, and it failed with:
>
> ld: error: undefined symbol: X509_STORE_get_by_subject

That's probably a change in libcrypto. For example,
I have these versions of libcrypto.so here:

        /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.46.1
        /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.46.3
        /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.47.0
        /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.48.0

The first three have X509_STORE_get_by_subject (says nm(1)),
but the newest one does not. So I believe X509_STORE_get_by_subject
was recently dropped.

So this would make sense, if your source is behind.
But looking at the current /usr/src/sbin/isakmpd,
it indeed calls X509_STORE_get_by_subject().
I get a different error:

        /usr/src/sbin/isakmpd/x509.c:163:8: error: implicit declaration
        of function 'X509_OBJECT_new' is invalid in C99
        [-Werror,-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
                obj = X509_OBJECT_new();
                              ^

So perhaps the current isakmpd source itself is behind.
That sometimes happens at the bleeding edge of -current.
Running cvs log x509.c in sbin/isakmpd shows that there
have been recent changes to the X509_OBJECT.

        Jan