On Sun, Nov 07, 2021 at 08:48:47AM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
> On Nov 06 20:51:53, st...@fivetrees.com wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I think I've probably done something stupid, but I'm not sure where. Not
> > used sysupgrade before; I usually reinstall. So this is new to me.
> >
> > I updated a system from 6.9 to 7.0 with sysupgrade; no problems at all. I
> > then nuked the contents of /usr/src,
>
> Why?
>
> > and decanted the 7.0 src.tar.gz and
> > sys.tar.gz files as usual with a new install.
> > Then did a cvs update
>
> You didn't need to remove the previous;
> you could have just updated the source you had.

running cvs update (with -r OPENBSD_7_0) is a possibility, but
removing files and reinstall is another. Nothing wrong here.

> > for the errata; still fine.
>
> For errate to 7.0? If you have a -current system for sysupgrade
> and only updated to the 7.0 errata, the source you have in /usr/src
> is behind what you have installed.

sysupgrade (when used without specific options) is used to upgrade a
system from one release to next release.

If you are on 6.9 (-release or -stable) and run `doas sysupgrade', you
will get a 7.0 system (and not -current).

> > Rebuilt kernel, installed it, rebooted; no problem. Then
> > tried rebuilding binaries, and it failed with:
> >
> > ld: error: undefined symbol: X509_STORE_get_by_subject
>
> That's probably a change in libcrypto. For example,
> I have these versions of libcrypto.so here:
>
>       /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.46.1
>       /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.46.3
>       /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.47.0
>       /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.48.0
>
> The first three have X509_STORE_get_by_subject (says nm(1)),
> but the newest one does not. So I believe X509_STORE_get_by_subject
> was recently dropped.

X509_STORE_get_by_subject was not dropped. It changed from function to
macro. There is no more symbol in object file for it, but it is still
usable in C source file.

Thanks.
--
Sebastien Marie