On 2022-03-07, Alex Waite <a...@waite.eu> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I will purchase a new home router soon, and hope to consolidate my ancient
> switch into it as well.
>
> Has anyone here had success running OpenBSD on the MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN? [1]
>
> It's ARM8 64-bit, so I expect OpenBSD to install and run, but the networking
> I am unsure about (Marvell Amethyst 88E6393X). [2]
>
> I have not found any information about OpenBSD support for the Marvell
> Amethyst series, so I fear that it is not (yet) supported. Can anyone confirm
> one way or the other, or speak to the likelihood that support will be added?
>
> ---Alex
>
> [1] https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in
> [2] https://i.mt.lv/cdn/product_files/RB5009UGS_210729.png

OpenBSD doesn't currently run on any MikroTik routers other than old
versions on the old powerpc RB600A. https://www.openbsd.org/socppc.html

OpenBSD does support boards with the same SoC family (Armada 7/8k;
rb5009 has Armada 7k) but MikroTik uses a proprietary bootloader.
If someone wanted to look into what's needed to make them work,
there is an OpenWRT version that should run on these now, which may
help: https://github.com/adron-s/openwrt-rb5009

88E6393X is the switch chip; it might be similar to those supported by
mvsw(4) but OpenBSD has no framework for controlling how enbedded
switches are configured; all it does is bridge all ports together.