Hi Mihai,

Not exactly related to disk speed, but have you cranked up the following sysctl
to see if it helps?

sysctl kern.bufcachepercentage=9

I put an entry in /etc/sysctl.conf for persistence.

This will cause up to 90% of system memory to be used as a unified buffer cache
for disk access.  Not sure if that helps but I use that value on every install,
including desktop and servers.  I can’t remember if the default value has
changed in the past 10 years but I always go with 90%.

-Brian