On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 09:09:57AM -0500, rea...@catastrophe.net wrote:
> Yes you did, and I greatly appreciate it. However, the interface won't
> join to anything once out of monitor mode.
>
> # uname -a
> OpenBSD server.example.org 7.0 GENERIC.MP#5 amd64
>
> # ifconfig iwm0 mediaopt monitor mode 11n
> # ifconfig iwm0 chan 132
> # ifconfig iwm0 up
> # ifconfig iwm0
> iwm0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>       lladdr 80:19:34:ab:ab:ab
>       index 5 priority 4 llprio 3
>       groups: wlan
>       media: IEEE802.11 autoselect mode 11n monitor
>       status: active
>       ieee80211: nwid "" chan 132

> Next I'll try join the network using the 5Ghz ssid on channel 132
>
> # ifconfig iwm0 -mediaopt monitor

Internally, the channel set for monitor mode is tracked in a different
variable than in the other modes (yet another thing that should probably
be fixed).

So try clearing and setting the channel again at this point.

> # ifconfig iwm0 nwid WIFI-NET-5G wpakey skcuserawmrifletni
> # ifconfig iwm0 192.168.1.8/24
> # ifconfig iwm0
> iwm0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>       lladdr 80:19:34:ab:ab:ab
>       index 5 priority 4 llprio 3
>       groups: wlan
>       media: IEEE802.11 autoselect mode 11n (HT-MCS0 mode 11n)
>       status: no network
>       ieee80211: nwid WIFI-NET-5G chan 132 wpakey wpaprotos wpa2 wpaakms psk
> wpaciphers ccmp wpagroupcipher ccmp
>       inet 192.168.1.8 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>
> At this point, the interface never leaves status of "no network".
>
> I also tried with another network near me (to rule out it being an Apple
> Airport issue) and have the same issues.

Based on this I cannot tell why it does not manage to connect.

Please enable: ifconfig iwm0 debug

Now watch for scan results with: tail -f /var/log/messages
The scan result entries should show a ! next to attributes that did
not match and prevented an AP from being selected. And it should
print some messages about association frames being exchanged with an AP
that it is trying to use. With this information we might be able to tell
why it is not associating.