f.holop <min...@obiit.org> wrote:

> Stuart Henderson - Mon, 09 May 2022 at 17:17:57
> > Currently, you can either set it manually to low speed
> > (hw.perfpolicy=manual, hw.setperf=0), modify the kernel (e.g. with the
> > diff below), or use obsdfreqd from packages. The latter is only in
> > -current packages not 7.1, but it could be built from ports.
>
> I think the elephant in the room is:
> will this change be reverted?
>
> What is the rationale of not letting wall powered servers
> throttle down?

As it is today the scheduler-based algorithm seriously sucks, and after
the change it was discovered many machines were running 10-20% less than
peak performance even under load.  This was discovered during
suspend/hibernate/resume events but it affects all workloads.

No, the change won't get reverted.  That is simply trying to ignore the
problem with a "I only care about myself" attitude.

It may get fixed after work in the scheduler which is not so damned
pessimistic to give people 20% less machine than they bought, and
this may happen as a resultt of pivoting to the opposite side of the problem
space, so that the people who actually performance adjustments ensure the
ramping up/down actually works without hurting PERFORMANCE.