On 2022-10-14, Gabor LENCSE <len...@hit.bme.hu> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am a researcher and I would like to benchmark the stateful NAT64
> performance of OpenBSD PF.
>
> I use a 32-core server as DUT (Device Under Test). When I use Linux for
> benchmarking other stateful NAT64 implementations, I use the "ethtool -N
> enp5s0f1 rx-flow-hash udp4 sdfn" command to include also the source and
> destination port numbers (not only the source and destination IP
> addresses) into the hash function to distribute the interrupts caused by
> packet arrivals evenly among all the CPU cores.
>
> I tried to find a similar solution under OpenBSD, but I could not. (I
> used search expressions like: OpenBSD RSS receive side scaling multi
> queue receiving) Perhaps it is called differently under OpenBSD, or
> maybe there is no such solution at all?
>
> Could you advise me please?

A few network drivers have support for multiple queues (if my grepping
is correct: aq igc bnxt ix ixl mcx vmx) - typically you will see the
nunber of queues reported in the dmesg attach line if supported - but
there's no interface to adjust what's fed into the hash function.

32 cores is quite a lot for OpenBSD, more than around 8 is likely to
be a waste for current versions in many use cases.