If all you are looking for is a small portable email client/web
browser for the road, check ebay for a really small/cheap laptop..
aka: the thinkpad 240. It is fully supported by openbsd extremely
easily. An out of the box install of openbsd easily runs on the 240
without much configuration needed. These little laptops are cheap and
reliable. The only thing which kinda sucks... when playing music, if
you use headphones, you can hear the hard drive access noises since
the laptop is so small.

That doesn't bother me much though as I whore the ipod everywhere I go anyway.

"I'm hoping to use a zaurus as a full featured browser, email client
while on the road...."