Didier,

Here are a few things that may interest you...

Java support is pretty problematical.. the desktop benchmark of success and
compatibility for a lot of java sites would be to have J2SE in a fairly
current version running. Unfortunately to build this from source you need an
earlier version of J2SE and a number of other tools - also current J2SE
sources carry a lot of assembler, there is no ARM variant in the routines
thus implemented and no standard C implementations for them either.

The closest to having J2SE running would be the ARM Blackdown Java 1.3.1 but
that only runs on ARM Linux - I have never seen the source to this and
believe that it is closed source.

I can also state from experience of experimenting with Swing on the
Blackdown versions with ARM Linux that it is extremely slow and memory
hungry.

Mostly compilation of ports works well if the software that you are
compiling from the ports is of good quality... not all software that is in
the ports is of highest quality with regards to portability across
architectures. Interested people may correct some of these ports and make
them more portable, however, there are some elements in certain ports that
can cause real problems on some architectures. - Typical issues tend to be
byte ordering (not very common these days), assembler routines with no C
implementation for unimplemented architectures and more obscure things such
as value types (like char) which are used in signed/unsigned manner but
without being explicitly declared as such (GCC behaves differently between
various architectures for types like char where unsigned/signed isn't
specified).

Of particular note, you mentioned Firefox.. Firefox runs at around 46Mb of
RAM and isn't the greatest thing to consider running on a Zaurus.
Nevertheless I wanted to try it.. there are some issues with the portability
of the Netscape Portable Runtime libraries present in Firefox that cause the
build process to fail during the library signing stage. (actually you need
to implement some conditional stuff to identify alignment, word sizes etc
before you get to this stage).

We may understand this issue better at some stage but I don't know of anyone
that considers it to be the highest priority to implement Firefox or Mozilla
for the Zaurus. This is simply because of the runtime demands of them as
Theo mentioned.

-Andy