On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:02:16PM +0000, Rodrigo Readi wrote:
> But the main problem remains: with s-nail and mutt you have to
> download all attachments
> even if you only want to read the text.

Out of interest, why is this an issue in your specific use case?

Is it due to bandwidth usage, (I.E. you are on a metered connection and want
to reduce data usage), or is it due to speed, in other words browsing through
your inbox is slower than it needs to be due to downloading all attachments
instead of just the text part?

Storing your mail long-term on a remote server and accessing it via a remote
mail access protocol such as IMAP has some convenient perks, but it's by no
means the only practical way of working.  If you're hitting up against it's
limitations then maybe it's time to consider the alternative.

If you're not on a metered connection, then having 'real' mail delivery via
SMTP right to your desktop or a local mailserver, makes browsing and
searching your mailspools faster than it will ever likely be over an
internet based IMAP connection.

If you need remote access to your mail, there are ways to do this from your
own server, and if you don't want to or can't set up inbound SMTP then there
are ways to pull mail using POP3 or IMAP and feed it in to the local mail
spool.