> On Sat, Feb 18, 2023 at 12:50:05AM +0000, Rodrigo Readi wrote:

> When I sit down at my workstation, all of my email is just there.  New
> mail, complete with all attachments, arrived whilst I was away making coffee
> or
> whatever, so the download time didn't affect me - it was not done
> interactively.

You SIT at YOUR workstation. In between you MAKE COFFEE.

> Now things have changed,

Have changed for YOU. It is your solution for your specific way of working
at your place, less mobile.

> But locking new users in to using specific programs from ports in order to
> give them a quick answer is not a great solution.  In the future they'll
> find
> themselves saying, "I have to use mail client FOO on OpenBSD, because it's
> the only one that supports BAR, which I've come to rely on".

No. For that there are standards. Here SMTP for sending, IMAP for getting.
You can use any client that follows the standards.
And I repeat, IMAP is not POP3, it is not for retrieving all mails,
and it was invented for good reasons.

Unfortunately CLI clients are not being adapted to today's requirements.
Alpine seems to have only one developer.

Rod.