On Wed, Mar 01, 2023 at 09:24:50AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2023-03-01, J Doe <gene...@nativemethods.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a question regarding authentication options in OpenIKED on
> > OpenBSD 7.2
> >
> > On my test lab I have one OpenBSD 7.2 machine with OpenIKED configured
> > to use PSK and a macOS 13.2.1 client that can connect to it.
> >
> > I read in: man iked.conf that PSK should not be used, so I am now
>
> I don't see that in the iked.conf manual. There is some reference to not
> using psk in /etc/examples/iked.conf but it's not clear whether that's
> because of the need to share a single psk with all endpoints connecting
> via the same iked.conf configuration line (certainly a problem when
> you have multiple users from unknown IPs but perhaps not if used for
> separately-configured lan-to-lan tunnels with strong randomly generated
> psks) or whether it's something else.

We should probably remove that comment.

I think there is actually no reason to avoid PSK in IKEv2 if both endpoints
are trusted. Of course it doesn't scale well and all security considerations
for shared WiFi passwords apply here as well, but there isn't an obvious
weakeness like the plain text passphrase being sent over the network.
Expecting people to generate X509 certificates for simple peer-to-peer setups
seems a lot worse.