On Thu, Mar 30, 2023 at 12:37 PM Kihaguru Gathura <kihagurugath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is hardware RAID on Poweredge servers (T340, PERC H330 in particular)
> generally stable enough for production or is it safer to stick with OpenBSD
> softraid?

I haven't used the H330, but the PERC 5/i and the PERC H700 have worked
fine for
me.  In terms of 'safety' I advise having a spare controller on hand
because if your
controller fails recovery will be simplest if you have the same controller
(with the same
firmware version) on hand.

Note that mounting a RAID volume on a newer controller (or the same
controller with
newer firmware) may prevent that volume from being attached to an older
controller later.
So don't try doing fancy things like moving the drives to a newer system to
take a backup,
then trying to move them back to their original system later unless you
have the same
controller in both systems.

In general I prefer hardware RAID because it's more likely you'll be able
to easily boot your
system if the array is running in a degraded state due to a drive failure
(perhaps you might
need to press F1 or something to continue).  With softraid, you might need
to type special
commands at the console to force booting or mounting a volume with a failed
drive in it.
This may be a problem if you are in a rush to bring the system back up and
don't have a
convenient way to look up the necessary commands.

-ken