On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 05:41:57PM -0600, Nathan Gilbert wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2023, at 5:40 PM, John Mettraux <jmettr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Could your account be using a shell not listed in /etc/shells ?
> >
> > I use fish and sometimes experience the same issue on upgrades. I solve it
> > by
> > re-adding /usr/local/bin/fish there.
>
> That’s probably it — I do use fish. How do you re-add it without logging in?

I log in as root via the screen 1, 2, 3, or 4 (Ctrl-Alt-Fn-F1...) and edit
/etc/shells.

Maybe you, for some reason, don't have access to your root account. I would
then just use an install stick and escape to shell when it asks if you want
to install, then mount the / disk partition and inspect/edit the shells file
from there, then unmount, remove the install stick and try again.

Regards,

John