Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> On 2023-04-11, Theo de Raadt <dera...@openbsd.org> wrote:
> > Kaya Saman <kayasa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> This somehow is overriding my resolv.conf file; another words the
> >> information is *not* being used from resolv.conf and is instead being
> >> used from the ipcp negotiation as part of the pppoe kernel module.
> >
> > then the pppoe code should submit a RTM_PROPOSAL route message ...
>
> it does.
>
> i still don't see how this information can *override* resolv.conf

But I do not understand what "override" means.  resolvd intentionally
has NO MECHANISM to allow choice, the list of addresses is chosen by a
fixed internal heuristic, INTENTIONALLY without configuration knobs.
There is one knob:  If one doesn't want resolvd semantics, stop the
daemon.  So easy.  But by default, the system runs with it, because
that means 99% of users get the semantics which satisfy 99% of
users without having to handle a configuration file.

What I don't understand from the complaint is why that ppooe dynamic
address doesn't rise to the top of the file, because dynamic requests
of that kind always rise to the top.  Therefore they get used.

So if it isn't in the file, then something else has been broken, probably
by the user, right?

But it is probably best to ignore this entire discussion because some
piece of configuration has been done to BREAK the default behaviour,
and then the user owns all the pieces.