Hi,

Thanks for validating my thoughts.  I appreciate the time you took to reply.

Cheers,
Steve Williams

On 4/18/2023 2:25 AM, Omar Polo wrote:
On 2023/04/17 10:32:58 -0600, Steve Williams <st...@williamsitconsulting.com>
wrote:
Hi,

I am working on making some changes to my smtpd.conf file and was looking
at the man page for it.

from:
https://man.openbsd.org/smtpd.conf

In the "Examples" section, there seems to be inconsistent use of
quotation marks.  I'm not sure if there is any signficance to it, or
if there's a preferred approach.

action mda_with_aliases mda "/path/to/mda -f -" alias <aliases>
action mda_without_aliases mda "/path/to/mda -f -"
action "outbound" relay

^^^  Why does "outbound" have quotes around it, but not the 2 lines
above in the mda_with_aliases and mda_without_aliases?

match for local action mda_with_aliases
match from any for domain example.com action mda_without_aliases
match for any action "outbound"

^^^ Similarily, the "outbound" has quotes, but the 2 "mda_with.."
lines don't have quotes.

Slightly confused, just wanting to understand precisely the config file.
While I agree that the example section could be more consistent in
this regard, I think this is already well explained at the top of the
man page:

     [..] entire block.  Argument names not beginning with a letter, digit, or
     underscore, as well as reserved words (such as listen, match, and port),
     must be quoted.  Arguments containing whitespace should be surrounded by
     double quotes (").

so except for the mda command string none of the argument in the bits
you mentioned strictly need quotations marks; it's just a matter of
personal style.

HTH