Thanks, will test. Will be useful.

On 7/18/23 20:09, Morgan Aldridge wrote:
I'm maintaining an OpenBSD X11 window manager (WM) port, but try to
keep my primary workstation on -stable, so do most of my development
there and test in Xephyr. I test & submit patches from an OpenBSD
-current VM running under vmm(4), but since vmm(4) doesn't emulate
video hardware, I haven't been run-testing there.

I'm already comfortable with x11vnc under OpenBSD, plus Xephyr, but
they both use an existing X display. After studying xenodm(1),
Xvfb(1), x11vnc(1), and a bunch of other X(1)-related manual pages,
plus tons of experimenting, the solution was actually quite simple.

TL; DR

I could find much on the Internet, list archives, etc., regarding this
specific situation, so here's my solution for a [slow] X11 virtual
display on a vmm(4) OpenBSD guest, accessible via VNC over an SSH
tunnel:

   doas rcctl enable xenodm
   doas rcctl set xenodm flags \
     "-server ':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :0 -screen 1024x768x24 -shmem'"
   doas rcctl start xenodm
   doas pkg_add x11vnc
   doas rcctl enable x11vnc
   doas rcctl start x11vnc

Hope someone else finds this useful down the road,

Morgan