On On 2023-07-18, Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2023-07-18, Morgan Aldridge <morg...@makkintosshu.com> wrote:
> > I'm maintaining an OpenBSD X11 window manager (WM) port, but try to
> > keep my primary workstation on -stable, so do most of my development
> > there and test in Xephyr. I test & submit patches from an OpenBSD
> > -current VM running under vmm(4), but since vmm(4) doesn't emulate
> > video hardware, I haven't been run-testing there.
> >
> > I'm already comfortable with x11vnc under OpenBSD, plus Xephyr, but
> > they both use an existing X display. After studying xenodm(1),
> > Xvfb(1), x11vnc(1), and a bunch of other X(1)-related manual pages,
> > plus tons of experimenting, the solution was actually quite simple.
> >
> > TL; DR
> >
> > I could find much on the Internet, list archives, etc., regarding this
> > specific situation, so here's my solution for a [slow] X11 virtual
> > display on a vmm(4) OpenBSD guest, accessible via VNC over an SSH
> > tunnel:
> >
> >   doas rcctl enable xenodm
> >   doas rcctl set xenodm flags \
> >     "-server ':0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvfb :0 -screen 1024x768x24 -shmem'"
> >   doas rcctl start xenodm
> >   doas pkg_add x11vnc
> >   doas rcctl enable x11vnc
> >   doas rcctl start x11vnc
> >
> > Hope someone else finds this useful down the road,
>
> I recommend putting x11vnc in the bin and using tigervnc if it works for
> your configuration...

Thanks! TigerVNC's x0vncserver(1) seems to work similarly to x11vnc(1)'s
default rc.d flags when executed as follows:

  x0vncserver -SecurityTypes None -localhost

This doesn't require a password (WARNING!), but does require an SSH
tunnel to access. Is certainly snappier too!

Easy enough to copy /etc/rc.d/x11vnc (before uninstalling) and update
the 'daemon' & 'daemon_flags' values as follows:

  daemon="/usr/local/bin/x0vncserver"
  daemon_flags="-SecurityTypes None -localhost"

I'm pretty sure 'rc_bg=YES' & 'rc_reload=NO' would need to be retained.

Morgan