On 8/14/23 13:37, Karel Lucas wrote:
HI all,
On a recent install of openBSD I can't get the mouse to work through my
KVM switch. I work with various computers via a KVM switch on 1 monitor
with a keyboard/mouse combination. Only on the PC with openBSD the mouse
does not work, the keyboard on the other hand works fine. Both are
connected to the KVM switch via USB, and the switch via USB to the
computers. The brand of the mouse is Logitech. Does anyone know why the
mouse doesn't work, but the keyboard does?
Good thing Logitech only makes one kind of mouse. HA! HAHAHaHahahaha!!!
I am so funny.  Really, though -- you thought mentioning just the brand
name of one of the more diverse makers of mice over 40+ years is all we
needed to know?

KVM switches are like a lot of other things -- tested with Windows, MAYBE
Linux.  And there are widely differing qualities and designs, some probably
weren't tested at all.

I can assure you, OpenBSD has no intrinsic issue with KVM switches.  I
regularly use a dual HDMI monitor 4-way KVM switch on OpenBSD and
Windows machines, works great in spite of being shockingly cheap (until
it seems two of the USB input ports died...but fortunately, it had two
extras, and I wouldn't be surprised if a complete powerdown fixed it).
That one replaced an even cheaper single monitor switch which was almost
useful, but had a lot of issues (including keyboard/mouse just dying
from time to time).

First of all, does your mouse work directly plugged into the OpenBSD
computer?  If so, it's your KVM switch.  Replace it.  If not, it is
your mouse.  Replace it.

Second...if you boot the OpenBSD machine with the KVM pointed at the
OpenBSD machine, does it work?  If so, your KVM switch is cranky.  You
might be able to improve how OpenBSD deals with KVM switched mice,
because yes, it does seem to be a little more touchy than some other
OSs, but someone with good programming and HW trouble shooting
skills AND a cheap-*** POS KVM switch would have to care.  Most people
that skilled generally just buy a better KVM switch and move on.

What does the dmesg show as you switch the KVM around?  That would tell
us how the KVM works.  Some are equiv. of plugging and unplugging the
mouse/keyboard/monitor, some do some kind of "keep alive" so the
computer thinks the mouse is still there.  Both can cause problems of
different types (my "good" one seems to plug/unplug the mouse/keyboard,
but has a great keep-alive for the monitor).

Nick.