On 2023-08-18, l...@ena.re <l...@ena.re> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> according to pkg_info(1) the -m options "shows the names and one-line
> comments for all packages tagged as manually installed". However,
> executing `pkg_info -m` shows the quirks package, which is clearly not
> "manually installed". According to it's package description: "pkg_add(1)
> always installs and updates it automatically".
>
> Can a package be tagged either as manually installed or as a dependency
> and as quirks is not a dependency, it is tagged as manually installed?
> If this is so, it seems to make sense that is tagged as manually
> installed.

quirks isn't installed as a dependency of another port, so by that
definition it's not "auto installed". I think it's undesirable
for "pkg_delete -a" to remove the quirks package which is probably
why it is currently recorded as manual-install.

> However, what do you think about not showing quirks when executing
> `pkg_info -mz`, as this is intended to "be reused with pkg_add(1) -l to
> recreate a package installation"? Similarly to how firmware is not shown.
> This would resemble the behaviour I expect from `pkg_info -mz`.

might be an idea, though it doesn't really hurt to list it.

suggest asking on ports@ and cc espie rather than on misc, though
IIRC he's away at the moment.

> Also, what is the reason the quirks package does not have a man page? I
> believe it should have one, just like any other program. Is this
> something that is desired? If so, I would gladly model one after the
> package description.

not sure what such a manpage would be named. it is already described
here though:

$ man -k any=quirks
packages(7) - overview of the binary package system