On 2023-08-29 21:14:43 Stuart Henderson <stu.lists () spacehopper ! org> wrote:

>On 2023-08-29, Katherine Mcmillan <kmcmi...@uottawa.ca> wrote:

>> To clarify, I'm looking for something with a similar structure at the US
>> PostgreSQL

>> Association (which is a registered 501(c)(3) public charitable entity), but
>> for BSD

>> or OpenBSD.

>I'm pretty sure there is nothing for OpenBSD like this.

Perhaps SPI (Software in the Public Interest) provides this capability

(if I understand correctly).  I discovered this when I tried to donate

to Libreoffice, which is headquartered in Germany.

>From SPI's wikipedia page:

   Software in the Public Interest, Inc. (SPI) is a US 501(c)(3)

non-profit organization domiciled in New York State formed to help

other organizations create and distribute free open-source software

and open-source hardware. Anyone is eligible to apply for membership,

and contributing membership is available to those who participate in

the free software community.

Their web page is:

        www.spi-inc.org

As nearly as I can tell, SPI handles all the paperwork and

interactions with the IRS, and allows people in the U.S. to donate to

a 501(c)3.  This gives the donor a tax benefit.  Donors who are used

to donating through a Donor Advised Fund are restricted by the DAF to

501(c)3 recipients.  So OpenBSD might possibly attract some new donors.

Katherine Mcmillan mentioned PostgreSQL.  I see on

        https://www.spi-inc.org/projects/

that PostgreSQL is one of the projects that already use SPI for its

donations.

The downside is that SPI charges 5% for this service.  It looks to me

like Paypal and the credit cards charge about half that, but they

don't provide 501(c)3 status.

I have no connection with SPI, other than donating through them, and I

don't know for sure how easy it would be for OpenBSD to interact with

them.  And I am not advocating for them, just mentioning their

existence on the off chance that people were not familiar with them.

-- Sent with https://mailfence.com  Secure and private email