Thank you all for your replies.  I needed to step away from my
computer last night so I apologize for the terse email.
sd0 is my physical hard disk with full disk encryption.  I wrote a 5gb
iso over the beginning of sd1c (my softraid volume).  I rebooted. I
installed openbsd on a separate drive, booted it, mounted the
encrypted volume, and hopelessly ran scan_ffs.

After reading Stuart's advice, I will attempt to reinstall the
disklabel from scratch. I installed 7.2 on my second disk; the version
I used to do the initial install.
When I initially set up my disk, I used the auto partition defaults
which left me with a 300gb /home directory. Later, I expanded the
/home partition across the rest of the disk. When I recreate the
disklabel, should I let it auto partition and then grow the file
system like before? Or should I just set home to fill the rest of the
disk?