On Tue, Oct 3, 2023 at 10:10 AM David Higgs <hig...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 2, 2023 at 9:26 AM David Higgs <hig...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> but I

>>> into
>>> already has
>>>
>>> Define "doesn't enjoy".  It absolutely requires a public IP?  It needs
>>> some ports to be forwarded?  Has some sort of network connection
>>> detection that fails because some ports are blocked for outgoing
>>> traffic?
>>>

>> I'm still trying to determine ground truth with manufacturer support.
>> Port forwarding doesn't seem sufficient.  The device can reach out just
>> fine but is not remotely controllable as advertised.
>>
>> > Is there a way for me to bridge just one of the vlan(4) logical
>>> interfaces
>>>

>> > Can this be done with veb/vport or bridge, or will I need to use
>>> something
>>>

>> Self-replying here: I don't see many examples of veb(4) use online, but
>> it seems as if I can add my physical uplink and the IoT VLAN both to a
>> veb and attach a vport to become my new uplink.  That should be logically
>> equivalent to putting a three-port switch between my router and my ISP CPE,
>> with the third port for the IoT device.  Is anyone able to shoot holes in
>> this or suggest a superior alternative, before I attempt the configuration
>> later this week?
>>

> I appreciate the previous replies/cluebats, but my initial attempt was
> rushed and unsuccessful.
>
> In broad strokes, I created veb0 and added em0, vlan222, and vport0 to
> it.  Then I tried getting vport0 to speak DHCP with my upstream, but
> nothing seemed to happen or appear in logs.
>
> I will have to spend more time on this to eliminate the possibility of
> fat-fingering, remove various confounding variables, and produce a better
> result/report.

For the archives, this worked swimmingly once I paid closer attention to
what I was doing.  Based on my second attempt, I hadn't put my vport0
interface up.

Of course, my ISP isn't handing out more than a single IPv4 address by
default, so all this has been simply a good learning experience.

--david