It's not really clear what you are talking about.

I think what you are saying is that you usually use rdiff for backup, but
you want to perform an additional backup to local media because you are
moving from one hosting provider to another and there is a possiblilty that
something might go wrong.

In that case, since you'll be doing a full, (non-incremental), backup
anyway, just do it the simple way - use /bin/pax, and download the archive
your local machine over sftp afterwards.