On 23/10/23 11:51, Armin Jenewein wrote:
Why do you need it?

Because it's extremely inconvenient to have manually type in the name of
a mirror that I know has an AAAA entry. The installer won't even be able
to download the mirror list because of the reason I mentioned. It tries
to talk to openbsd.org which obviously fails. So the reason is as simple
as "Because 2^32  IP addresses are not sufficient for over 8 millian
humans.". I see no point in making the life of IPv6-only attached users
harder here.

Long-term, it may become necessary to do this as IPv4 address depletion bites further… but I think it's a bit disingenuous to equate the number of people to the number of IP addresses available. Humans do not have network interfaces (yet).

The vast majority of IPv6-only users actually have some means of accessing IPv4 through carrier-grade NAT64.

A short-term solution might be to download the installXX.img or installXX.iso images, which include the install sets so remove any need to select a mirror until such time as you have the system bootstrapped. That'll let you get 90% of the job done without IPv4 access.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.