On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 11:48:43AM +0600, Maria Morisot wrote:
> Hi,
> I've been frustrated in trying to find a way to help the project and thanks
> to several people's replies I've been considering what I like to do with the
> operating system.
>
> My needs are simple, as far as personal usage goes; give me an offline system
> with vi and hard drive access and I'll happily write poetry to my heart's
> content in my favorite caf??.
>
> But I really want to help the project. I like the idea of trying to break
> things and get them to malfunction in order to expose bugs that have been
> overlooked.
>
> I like to smash things.
>
> Does anyone know of any good resources for this, or recommended software in
> ports that I should study and learn? I have an O'Reilly subscription, so and
> book recommendations from on there I should have access to. Blogs are great
> too.
>
> I have a pretty good understanding of randomness and know about the concept
> of fuzzing. I've done testing in my software courses and know a little about
> writing code for explicit bad cases. But my schooling was very lax and was
> easy to get A's so I didn't put much effort in.
>
> Thanks again to everyone who has tried to help me find my path here in the
> community, I know that I am a tough pill to swallow, that is why I generally
> play alone.
> --
> Google doesn't need to
> know every time I fart.

Just take it easy.  You don't enlighten us with your age, but I suspect you're
in the early twenties.  There is people here that are one to several generations
above you.  We were all young once and probably just as wild once.  If you
stick around for 20 years or so (which to me is a human generation), you'll be
like some of us.

What I found joy with when I was employed was tasting amazon books.  There
was some disappointment, but also some surprises.  If you don't like amazon
I understand, I use them because I live in a tiny city where computer books
are hard to find.  One disappointment was that after a certain experience
level certain books that are an advanced level are hard to find.  Most
will re-iterate the basics of someone who has perhaps up to 5 years
experience.

Even though I never made monetary riches, I feel my history using open source
was great.  I started in 1995 and it wasn't until 2005 that I started on the
project that I'm still working on today which is nearly 20 years old.  Back
then I didn't realise a DNS server would keep me that busy.  But in 2007 I
realised that it was my best project and I should stick with it.  Meanwhile
I have a five year plan which involves some closed source to hopefully get
me some money.

So envision yourself in 20 years from now.  Luckily as humans we are great
dreamers and envisionaries so we are capable to put ourselves into such
positions.  What projects do you want to have under your belt?  Do you want
one project or several?  Do you want family, kids, spouse, house, boat, and
cottage?  Do you want a pet AI?  Or perhaps a robot?  If anything misses in
the mix it's time.  There is all these possibilities but not enough time to
do them all, so you must prioritize and drop some wants.

Best Regards,
-peter

--
Over thirty years experience on Unix-like Operating Systems starting with QNX.