On Sun, Nov 26, 2023 at 01:52:22PM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2023-11-24, Crystal Kolipe <kolip...@exoticsilicon.com> wrote:
> > At the end of last year, I did a comprehensive write-up about using blu-ray
> > recordable on OpenBSD, and as part of that I checked around 100 BD-R discs
> > that had been written about 10 years previously and verified as good at the
> > time.  Ten years laster, I found exactly ZERO bad discs.  All data was
> > readable from every single disc, (and returned the correct checksums).
>
> Anyone know whether USB BD-R drives are likely to work on OpenBSD?

>From a software point of view you are just writing to the /dev/rcd* device, so
any standards-compliant USB BD-R drive should work.

Like any USB peripherals, there are probably some stupid ones that don't or
would require tweaks to the kernel to be recognised, etc.

Having said that, for maximum reliable operation you need a sustained data
rate up to ~50 Mb/sec, and I wouldn't entirely trust USB for that.

Any reason why you particularly want a USB one?  If I wanted a reliable
external BD-R drive that I could move between machines, I'd probably put one
of the Pioneer ones in an external eSATA enclosure.

The one Asus drive I tested had a few quirks, BTW, so I wouldn't be
inclined to invest in one of those.