On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 10:54:14AM -0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
> On 2023-12-20, Why 42? The lists account. <li...@y42.org> wrote:
> >
> > Just tried the mount of /tmp manually from the command line at got:
> > mount_mfs: mmap: Cannot allocate memory
> >
> > When I halved the size (memory) allocated (-s=2097152) it mounts
> > successfully:
> > mjoelnir:robb 20.12 19:50:02 # df -h /tmp
> > Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> > mfs:75507      1.9G    1.0K    1.8G     1%    /tmp
> >
> > Strange that it used to work. One day (!) I'll re-partition and allocate
> > a partition/slice of "real" storage to /tmp instead of using mfs.
>
> login.conf used to allow unlimited datasize for the 'daemon' class. That was
> changed to cap at 4G

Actually the value is an architecture dependent setting.

On amd64 it is indeed 4G, but typically 1024 Mb on the smaller archs which
until recently, (post 7.4), included i386, which has now been increased to
1500 Mb.

BTW, we already had this exact same discussion with Robb on the list back in
February:

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=167561903118994

So when I asked why he didn't just bump the value, it was indeed a question
and not a suggestion to just do it.