On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 08:20:37AM -0300, Crystal Kolipe wrote:
> > login.conf used to allow unlimited datasize for the 'daemon' class. That was
> > changed to cap at 4G
>
> Actually the value is an architecture dependent setting.
>
> On amd64 it is indeed 4G, but typically 1024 Mb on the smaller archs which
> until recently, (post 7.4), included i386, which has now been increased to
> 1500 Mb.
Shouldn't it vary according to the amount of RAM available on the system?
Or is the backing store (swap) more relevant? Anyway ...

> BTW, we already had this exact same discussion with Robb on the list back in
> February:
>
> https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=167561903118994
>
> So when I asked why he didn't just bump the value, it was indeed a question
> and not a suggestion to just do it.
Oh right :-) Seems like I was fat and happy in February with "-s=4194304"
in fstab and "df -h /tmp" returning 1.8G available.

I don't know why or when it stopped working in the meantime. Maybe daily
should report failed mounts? I mean, normally, something like that is
hard to miss, but with /tmp it's not so obvious. Just a thought.

I guess I tend to avoid modifying login.conf to avoid having to fix
issues reported by sysmerge after an upgrade. But in reality those don't
occur that often and I'm just being overly sensitive.

Right now login.conf contains:
> daemon:\
>        :ignorenologin:\
>        :datasize=4096M:\
>        :maxproc=infinity:\
>        :openfiles-max=1024:\
>        :openfiles-cur=128:\
>        :stacksize-cur=8M:\
>        :tc=default:

I was just able to mfs_mount 2GB on the command line:
> mjoelnir:robb 28.12 17:13:17 # mkdir /tmptmp
> mjoelnir:robb 28.12 17:13:25 # df -h /tmptmp
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/sd1a     1005M    250M    704M    27%    /
> mjoelnir:robb 28.12 17:13:29 # mount_mfs -s 4194304 swap /tmptmp
> mjoelnir:robb 28.12 17:13:43 # df -h /tmptmp
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> mfs:23190      1.9G    1.0K    1.8G     1%    /tmptmp

That was as root though, so maybe that's not such a great test. Is it
possible to do something like "doas daemon ..."?

I'll switch fstab back to use this size for /tmp and check after the next
reboot if it gets mounted as expected ...

Cheers,
Robb.