b...@fea.st wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2023, at 00:41, Ax0n wrote:
> > I had been running #1471 since December 5th without issue, and this week
> > upgraded to the latest snapshot (#1567) after which some apps such as
> > Firefox won't run. They display "msyscall <hex> a8000 error" followed by a
> > core dump. dmesg(1) shows a bogus syscall. I did ensure that I had properly
> > sysmerged and updated packages.I waited until the next snapshot hit
> > mirrors, and verified that this issue persists with build #1572 and fresh
> > packages as well. Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 8. dmesg in body. I can put core
> > dumps somewhere if it helps.
>
> I'm on #1576 and both ungoogled-chromium and firefox work fine.

The problem occurs when a package uses a library which has a DT_NEEDED
reference to an older libc library, but the snapshot has moved to a new
library major/minor version.

Then ld.so loads both libraries, and that won't work.

This DT_NEEDED stuff is very much designed to discourage any trend other
than ossification.