It seems the bug (or feature?) is known since long ago:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=388924

Indeed, when I apply twm f.focus to the chrome window, the problem disappears.

I had also the problem with the newest version of firefox on FreeBSD,
but did not
try other wm than twm. I use there freebsd-esr that till now does not
have the problem.

What did change with chrome on 2014 and with firefox jet?

Rod.