On 2/4/24 14:02, beecdadd...@danwin1210.de wrote:
hello

I will make a storage server, and RAID just has to be on it, right?

maaaaybbe... (more later)
is RAID6 in work or maybe plans, I would like to know
what about RAID5 + CRYPTO or RAID6 + CRYPTO?
I read these
https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/r4bydk/encrypted_raid6_support/
and from it
https://marc.info/?t=154348693400001&r=1&w=2

best to start with authoritative sources that are up to date.
https://man.openbsd.org/softraid

you will note no reference to RAID6 in there.  Nor one-layer
softraid 5C, like there is 1C.

Is it "in the works"?  how would that matter?  If it is there, you
can use it.  If it isn't...you can't.  If it is "in the works", it
still isn't there.  So...I'd suggest just assuming it isn't there,
and if it is added (or you add it), upgrade at your next HW refresh.
encryption is a must, I won't have it unencrypted
what about RAID controller like RAID6 and software RAIDC combination?
it would be cool to have redundancy like RAID6 and secure data with CRYPTO..
RAID1C is too expensive

"RAID1C is too expensive" -- define expensive?
You can get a Really Big SATA disk for the price of a good HW RAID controller,
and a good HW RAID controller generally requires a big, power hungry chassis.
Oh...and if you are going to run HW RAID, you MUST have spare HW on-hand
because you can't just take the drives off RAID controller X and put them on
the RAID controller you just managed to find two years later when you need
it and hope it will work.  And of course, that implies a second chassis,
because these things tend to work together.

does anyone run multi-TB storage servers with OpenBSD? what raid do you run,
what about hardware raid? I fear/dislike hardware raid but I never tried it
I want to live without OpenZFS/FreeBSD, butnot without encryption and redundancy

HW RAID works, but you better understand your controller.  Most people get
their system running, pat themselves on the back, and are 100% hosed when
they need to replace a drive and have no idea how.  HW raid is usually a
little easier to figure out how to get running without reading the
instructions, but much harder to figure out when things go wonky.

(granted, SW raid, you have to figure out how to detect and swap out a
failed drive, but my SW RAID is more similar to yours than my HW RAID is
to yours, and thus, I can probably help you out more.  x the number of
people on misc@ :)
I don't have to be able to boot from it (canbe other disk which also maybe in
RAID1C), but would be nice

I know OpenBSD is not meant to be run as big fancy storage server with maybe
complicated reliability like RAID6 + CRYPTO, but what you expect? everyone
loves OpenBSD and wants to use it for everything, not FreeBSD

Realistically, for home use, I suspect OpenBSD will be more-than-sufficient
for most people.  You just don't need the World's Fastest for most
applications.  Case in point: I was whining to myself about the removal of
softdeps from OpenBSD recently...it is a HUGE performance hit for a few of
the systems I manage.  But you know what I discovered?  Worst case, even
though one backup went from two hours to eight or more hours, it doesn't
change what I accomplish in a day.  Wickedly fast is fun.  But the real
performance problem is usually me.  It would work fine for many business
uses, too.

thank you I am sorry if I ask too much, I don't demand, just nice request

OpenBSD Softraid RAID6 isn't a thing (yet?).
OpenBSD Softraid RAID5C isn't a thing (yet?).

Layered RAID isn't officially supported, but it works.  Layering crypto on
top of a HW RAID works in every sense.  Softraid doesn't even know it is on
HW RAID and doesn't care (though bioctl can be used to monitor both).
Expecting the system to come up on its own with manually layered softraid
is not wise.

If you want to layer your RAID, you will probably want to have your boot
partitions/drives be RAID1C (or just RAID1), then the data stored on a
big softraid "drive".  I would suggest NOT putting the layered RAID volumes
in /etc/fstab, but rather have some kind of manual script that you run post
boot to bring up the big data storage drives.  This way, when the power goes
out and you need an fsck on your array, you don't have to go to the box to
do it, you can do it remotely.

RAID1 wins a lot of awards for just plain simplicity, and thus, some
versatility.  So I'd suggest reconsidering your "need" for RAID5, and see
if you can get by with RAID1C on a big pair of drives.

And as for my "maaaaybbe" on automatically assuming you need RAID on a
storage server, you MIGHT just find that multiple stand-alone systems will
give you better redundancy for some applications.  RAID helps if your
disk fails, but there are a lot of other things that fail on storage servers,
and for SOME applications, having a whole other machine ready to roll is
a better solution.  Granted, my FIRST choice is TWO machines running RAID
storage, but that's not always practical.

Nick.