On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 12:01:38AM +0200, Karel Lucas wrote:

> Op 15-04-2024 om 22:20 schreef Peter N. M. Hansteen:
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 10:09:31PM +0200, Karel Lucas wrote:
> > > This gives the following error messages when booting:
> > > no IP address found for igc1:network
> > > /etc/pf.conf:41: could not parse host specification
> > > no IP address found for igc2:network
> > > /etc/pf.conf:42: could not parse host specification
> > This sounds to me like those interfaces either do not exist or
> > have not been correctly configured.
> >
> > Are those interfaces configured, as in do they have IP addresses?
> >
> > the output of ifconfig igc1 and ifconfig igc2 will show you.
> >
> Output from ifconfig igc0:
> igc0: flags=8b43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 7c:2b:e1:13:dd:f4
>         index 1 priority 0 llprio 3
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex)
>         sratus: active
>
> Output from ifconfig igc1:
> igc1: flags=8b43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 7c:2b:e1:13:dd:f5
>         index 2 priority 0 llprio 3
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT full-duplex)
>         sratus: active
>
> Output from ifconfig igc2:
> igc2: flags=8b43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         lladdr 7c:2b:e1:13:dd:f6
>         index 3 priority 0 llprio 3
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
>         status: no carrier
>
> /etc/hostname.bridge0:
> add igc0 add igc1 add igc2 blocknonip igc0 blocknonip igc1 blocknonip igc2
> up
>
> /etc/hostname.igc0:
> up
>
> /etc/hostname.igc1:
> up
>
> /etc/hostname.igc2:
> up

Either Stuart is right, and you are trying to put up some weird
firewall, or Diana is right, and you are way out of your depth and need
to learn some of the basics of IPv4 networking.  Or they are both right.
Any other way, Peter is also right: you have been giving us information
piecemeal, and not only this doesn't help you to solve your problems, it
can be frustrating for the rest of us, because you've (involuntarily)
been wasting our time, chasing the wrong problem.  Your issues seem to
be broader than just configuring PF.

Incidentally, this is also an example on why copying/pasting stuff into
your machine is often a bad idea.  You need to understand what you are
putting in there, bit by bit.  Otherwise either it will fail immediately
(as in your case) or it will fail later on the first time you try to
tweak it.  And with a firewall being key in network security, you'll
really want to get it right.

There is no harm in not knowing things, no one is born knowing what a
routing table is, we've all had to start somewhere (I hope you don't
find this patronizing, that's really not the point).  And, as you've
just seen, despite this mailing list having a reputation of being
unfriendly, you've got plenty of people willing to help.  There are just
a few steps you need to take _on your own_ first.

Peter's book is great for PF, as is the PF user's guide [1].  For the
networking bits you can also take a look at the respective chapters on
Michael W. Lucas' "Absolute OpenBSD" [2].  Palmer and Nazario's "Secure
architectures with OpenBSD" also helped me a lot with system
administration in general, back in the day.  Others might have other
suggestions, I'm sure there's a ton of stuff out there.

[1] https://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html
[2] https://www.michaelwlucas.com/os/ao2e