On 5/22/24 08:08, Kirill A. Korinsky wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2024 12:53:11 +0100,
Nick Holland <n...@holland-consulting.net> wrote:

For reasons of multi-hour fsck's on a few systems, I'm looking at
remounting the problem file systems as "rw" when writing is actually
needed and "ro" after the writing is complete (IN THIS APPLICATION, this
is known) to reduce my "at risk of power outage" window a lot, but I
suspect this will fall deeply within the category of "when I break
things, I get to keep all the pieces". :)

Do you need atime on that FS? Disable it dramatically reduces chances of
manual interraction with fsck. If you move forward and add sync which slow
down write but allows to get almost zero porbability of fsck interraction.

Already done. :)
This is a backup system I have -- lots of symlinks, lots of files.  Cool
thing is, the fsck is painful, but almost never have to help the fsck along,
at least once softdep was removed and they quit crashing in the middle of
backups. (softdep removal really hurt these systems -- some tasks went from
an hour or so to many hours...but it doesn't impact my life one bit.  On
the other hand, obviously I was tickling some of those softdep bugs I had
heard hit some people).

And in other news: couple days ago, I said I rarely need manual intervention
on the systems I just yank the cords from.  Well, this morning, a system I
manage remotely apparently had a couple power events, and one system needed
help with the fsck.  That's what happens when one boasts. :D

Nick.