On Sat, Jul 06, 2024 at 01:49:05AM +0200, Christian Schulte wrote:
> A database admin would have monitored the system and just enhanced
> storage when required. Bad thing for me was, that I could not vaccuum
> the database, because postgresql copies tables to new files to reclaim
> disk space afterwards. So the database was unusable for about 12
> hours, until I could manage to xz a backup and transfer it to another
> machine. Making postgresql aware of keeping some free disk space, it
> would need to preserve around 50%, so that vaccuum can always be
> performed.

This is tangential to the original issue, but I've heard of some
administrators leaving around large files so they can be removed when
the disk unexpectedly fills up buying them more time to address the
underlying issue, and CockroachDB implements this natively:
<https://www.cockroachlabs.com/docs/stable/cockroach-debug-ballast>.

Eric