On 07.07.24 03:51, Jeremy Evans wrote:
On Fri, Jul 5, 2024 at 9:16 PM Christian Schulte <schulte...@gmail.com <mailto:schulte...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Just wondering how the postgresql
    port is configured. Really should setup quotas automatically when
    pkg_adding in a way, just to ensure, that no one ever runs into a
    situation, that there is no way out of a disk full situation.

I'm not aware of any port that sets up quotas automatically, so I don't understand why you think this is an issue with the PostgreSQL port specifically.  Since you are wondering how the PostgreSQL port is configured: https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/databases/postgresql/Makefile?rev=1.304&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup <https://cvsweb.openbsd.org/ports/databases/postgresql/Makefile?rev=1.304&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>

Jeremy

I did not criticize the postgresql port in any way. I am just suggesting, that when you want to setup a postgresql server in a fire-and-forget way of things, it would be cool to restrict it from eating up all available storage. Just because only then will you notice how difficult it can get to get out of such a situation. That's all. Discussion started with an MTA blindly preserving 5% of space for temporary queue files, which are, well, temporary. Makes no sense. Queue will get emptied whatsoever automatically. Completely different scenario with a database system. The MTA can and will resolve such a situation automatically over a period of a few days. This does not hold true for a database system, which is not dealing with temporary data and just needs a way to ensure someone never runs into a non recoverable situation. No need to apply any changes to the postgresql port. If you know how nasty things can get, you can also just use GNU/Linux to shoot you into your own feet. So to say. There is a reason why we are here.

Regards,
--
Christian